Register Saved Properties |

Landlord Useful Information


There are some legal requirements you will have to comply with as a landlord. As a basic rule, you are responsible for the safety of your tenants whilst they are in your rental property. The following guidelines are not exhaustive and no warranty is made as to the accuracy of them. If in doubt you should consult a solicitor specialising in legal advice for landlords.

The law states you must maintain the property and undertake any major repairs that are required. This includes anything that affects the structure and exterior as well as the electrical, heating, hot water and sanitary conditions.

In addition, there are number of special rules as follows:


Energy Performance Certificates
Price: £75+ Vat

Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) are now needed for all properties being rented in England and Wales.


Landlords Gas safety Certificate
Price: £65 plus £10 per any extra item

The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 say landlords must ensure that gas appliances, fittings and flues are safe for tenant’s use and that installation, maintenance and annual safety checks are carried out by a GORGI registered gas fitter. If everything is in order, you’ll be given a certificate called a CP12 and you must give a copy of this to your tenant. Gas safety checks must be carried out on a property annually.


Electrical Safety & Pat Testing
The Electrical Equipment and Safety Regulations say you must ensure that the electrics are safe, with operating instructions and safety notices supplied before a letting commences. Get your electrics regularly checked by a qualified electrician. You must also get you any appliances tested for more information please call.


Smoke Alarms & Carbon Monoxide
All properties built since June 1992 must have interlinked mains-connected smoke detectors / alarms on each floor of the property. Older properties must be fitted with standard (battery powered) smoke detectors/alarms. Smoke alarms must be checked regularly to ensure that they are in full working order. A carbon monoxide detector should also be supplied. These can be purchased for around £5 from most DIY shops.



Special Rules for Houses of Multiple Occupation
Please call for more information
Certain types of shared houses (called Houses in Multiple Occupation) have to be licensed under special rules, which also require the property meets certain extra fire and electrical safety standards. These rules also set a limit to the number of people who can occupy a property. Whether or not you need to get a license depends on the size of the property and varies by council – ask your local authority’s housing department for more information.


Soft Furnishings Certificate
Price: £POA

All soft furnishings must comply with the Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) Safety Regulations 1988 and be fire safety compliant. Look for the fire safety label on all furnishings.